Unity Farmers' Market
April 9, 2013 at the Community Center
- Members present were Lois from Snakeroot Organic Farm, Peg
from High Field Farm, Katie from Living Grains, Michelle from
Tangled Oak Farm, and Elaine from Maine-ly Apples. Also present
was Tess from Maine Farmland Trust.
- Prior to the business meeting Jesse
Dowling from South Paw Farm and Fuzzy Udder Creamery in Unity
submitted her application and described her farming operation.
She plans to sell cheese, meat, milk, and various vegetables.
- The business meeting was opened by Lois. Members voted
unanimously to accept South Paw Farm as a member of the market
for this season.
- Election of officers was held. Chair of the market was put
on hold. Officers for 2013 are: Lois, Treasurer and Market
Manager; Michelle, Assistant Treasurer (whose name will be added
to the credit union account); and Elaine, Secretary. All members
are on the Steering Committee.
- The treasurer distributed the yearly report. There is a
difference in the ending balance and Lois will recheck the
- The market opens on May 4th. Lois will advertise
in the Rolling Thunder and the Town Line. U.B.R. will be asked
to mention the market in their newsletter(s). 500 new brochures
will be printed with Tom Roberts’ help.
- There was a discussion about the SNAP program. We may need
to reapply to the program since Judy Rock used her personal
information on the original application. (Judy sadly died in
December.) U.B.R. might apply for us using their organization
- Tess reported on the Maine Farmland Trust program on
vouchers. There is not enough grant money this year so the
program will be making changes. Reimbursement to vendors will be
50% or 25% and there will no longer be paper vouchers. Tess
showed us tally sheets that could be distributed with vendors’
names. Tess will report back with the new system.
- There will be a volunteer each week to process the EBT
machine. Tess also reported that there is a Waldo County
Extension SNAP coordinator and educator here in Unity. She is
- The meeting was adjourned at 10:50 A.M.
- Respectfully submitted,
Elaine K. Olsen, Secretary